I can't believe I can stop marking my occupation as Student this Saturday!

Category:

It is 11:39pm, May 14th, 2014. I just got back from Zumba (which I haven't done in ages!) and pressed send for a second paper draft. In this moment, I can truly say that although I'm still working on a client project that won't end until late June, building Seeds Studios & DIRTfoundation, and have no idea where I will be living in the Bay come July - it is okay - because I HAVE CROSSED THE FINISH LINE OF GRADDDDD SCHOOOL!!!!

I started this journey of completing my dual-degree with an MBA in Strategy & MS in Human Resources Design after being rejected from the CGU PhD program I had applied to. I remember feeling crushed when it happened, yet hopeful that I had been accepted to the masters programs. In retrospect, it was the biggest blessing in disguise. I took this journey of higher education all because Mrs. Swieck pushed us to think of "working hard while your young, so you can play hard for the rest of your life" and the late Dr. Linda Evans exposed me to the idea of going to graduate school. She instilled the thought that higher education would help you to "do what you got to do, to get what you want to get, to be where you want to be." I, being the child of first-generation immigrants, had started painting a picture of success that meant I had to get my PhD.

I was lucky to have gone to universities that had great mentors and programs. Shari taught me the power of positive psychology. Connie Shears pushed me to do my own research, and my leadership professors at Chapman challenged us to self-reflect, meditate, and think about the legacy we wanted to leave behind when we died. This started the path of more self-discovery, in addition to all the psychological tests I put myself through for fun. However, it wasn't until I got to CGU and switched from the Positive Org Psych program to the MBA program that I learned that no matter how much research you do or how you calculate your estimates, you will never have all the data to be 100% precise in your calculations to back any decision - whether they affect your life, your business, or others. Life is just not like that - life does not have fool-proof right answers. Sometimes, you just got to take what you know and move forward and do! Life is an iterative process, you can try something and change course. You don't need to know everything, as long as you surround yourself with people that are willing to question your decisions and offer their expertise in specialties, you can go forth and be a force.

It wasn't until this year through my MBA classes, coaching, and introspection that I found I am a Doer. I have a natural inclination to do something to make a positive difference everywhere I go. Hence, constant research and studying wasn't always fun because rather than read and then write about what I read, I wanted to just read and APPLY what I've read. It also wasn't until this year that I realized I was too end-goal oriented to enjoy the process and was chasing an end-goal vision of success that, at my core, wasn't me. Had I been accepted into the PhD program, I may have been unhappy not doing what was natural to me. My true vision of success is still being painted with the lifestyle I want to live, and I'm doing my best to rid it of associated labels. However, I do know that I want to continue traveling, learning, creative writing, and making a positive difference no matter what I do or where I go.

I'm grateful for all the growth and the learning this pursuit of higher education has offered me. It wasn't always easy doing two degrees in three years and there was a lot of sacrifice that went into it (financially, socially, and sleep-ly!), but I am so glad I did it. I thank everyone amongst my family & friends that stuck around and still love me despite how much I was a hermit behind my books. I plan to make up for lost time!

My advice to others, if you decide to go to grad school - do it. Not for a label of success, but for the opportunities to surround yourself around like-minded people who will push you to be a better version of yourself, the opportunities to learn more about subjects you're crazy interested in, and the opportunities to stretch yourself and grow.

As for me, it's time to stop being a Student by occupation and start being a life-long learner in the class of Life! La'chaim!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment